- Growing Nephrons from Stem Cells:
- The growth factors of nephrons and kidney tissues must be discovered.
-We need a clear understanding of which growth factors affect the maturation of nephrons.
- A matrix to sustain the kidney while it is developing needs to be created.
-We will use adult derived stem cells, not embryonic stem cells.
- More advanced stem cell research needs to take place.
- Tissue Cultures
- The tissue culturing process needs to be refined and made reliable.
- A material that will sustain the growing organ needs to be discovered.
- Developing a long lasting organ
- We want our organ to last for a patient's entire life so they will not have to
undergo multiple transplants.
- Need for dialysis machines will be greatly reduced
(Required temporarily while kidneys are developing, not as a permanent solution)
- Will also eliminate the need for kidney donors
- Reduce the number of deaths by kidney failure and raise the survival rate of patients suffering from a variety of kidney diseases
- More stem cell research on non-embryonic sources would be necessary
- Possible need for:
- Injections of the hormone erythropoitein which regulates red blood cell production
- Small doses of anti-rejection drugs (only if we do not use the patient's own cells)